Sunday, February 8, 2009

Photographs of the Bishop children.






The two children featured in the photographs above are my great-grandmother, Olive Jessie Bishop, and her younger brother Guy Arnold Bishop.Both photos were taken in Melbourne in October 1871, when Olive was almost three and Guy almost one.
The person who wrote on the back of Olive's photo made a mistake and wrote that she was born in 1869 instead of 1868.
I have these two photographs hanging on my wall in their original gilt plaster frames. I assume that there was also one taken of Roland at the same time, but have no idea what became of it.
I had for years assumed that the photo of Guy was that of a little girl, and could not for the life of me figure out who it was, since no sisters fitted in age-wise. Then, when researching early Australian photographers, I came across the fact that "It is virtually impossible to distinguish the sex of infants dressed in the layettes of the period. As they grow a little larger one can still be misled by boys in dresses or tunics, and having their hair curled. Boys could be dressed in tunics or dresses up to the age of seven, and as late as the early twentieth century could still be found thus." ( From the invaluable book 'Dating family Photos 1850-1920' by Lenore Frost, page 90).

No comments: