Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The children of Bertha Hughan and Henry Bishop: 1. Roland Oakley Bishop




The writing on the back of these photos, in my great-uncle Gordon Oakley's hand, identifies them as being of Roland Bishop. The second one I initially thought was a girl, most likely my great-grandmother Olive, but another look has made me see that it could indeed be a boy wearing a tunic. The cross on the ribbon around the neck is a concern, though...did mothers adorne their little boys in such a fashion?
I stick with my original thought that this child is Olive Jessie, but would very much welcome other opinions!
The top photo I is most likely Roland Bishop...or perhaps his little brother Guy!!! Actually, the photographers, Stewart & Co, operated from 217 Bourke St East(the address on the reverse of the photo) from 1879 to 1891, so that date makes it more likley that this first photo is of Guy and NOT Roland. Roland would have been about 12 or 13 when Stewart & Co started at this address, and the boy in the photo is younger than that. Guy, however, would have been about 9 in 1879, which seems the right age for the subject.

No comments: